So here's a rundown of our year in a foreign country, a place where the grocery store, sadly, is Woolworths.
- The weather rocks.
- My kids have little pseudo-Australian accents, or as my four year old says- Australian "accidents".
- I heart cliffs, me likey pretty scenery.
- My kids wanna be surfers.
- The Australian dollar keeps rising against the U.S. dollar (a good thing for us-- but not most of you).
- I'm learning a new language-- Australian.
- I've learned how to drive on the other side of the road.
- Every month we see fireworks from our backyard.
- I almost always have canvas bags with me, and barely ever need the plastic ones from stores anymore.
- We recycle a lot more now, otherwise they won't take our rubbish (that's Australian for garbage) away.
- I still love the word "brekkie".
- We're all about taking the ferry for transportation.
- I am convinced all Australian ovens suck.
- People constantly think all Americans are George Bush loving terror fighters.
- Not knowing how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, kilometers to miles, centimeters to inches, milliliters to ounces and sometimes cups... ugh, this is never ending.
- Sausage rolls.
- 40% taxes
- No Ross Dress for Less, Marshalls, TJMaxx or Costco stores
- I'm still trying to figure out why they ask me if I have "flybys" at the grocery store-- no freaking clue what they are talking about.
- No Boars Head deli meats.
- Being so far from everyone I know.
Alrighty then, one year down and 2-3 years to go.
The year in photos:
Random excited tourist on a Sydney ferry.
Sometimes fun, somewhat creepy Luna Park.
There's a lot of Australian Post drop boxes.
The inside of the Sydney Opera House main concert room. They almost confiscated my camera.
And I think that's the largest organ in the world going up the entire back wall. That's sounds dirty, see the Opera House is a fun place.
At the Australia Day celebration in Sydney's Hyde Park.
A little slice of Florida in the Gold Coast of Australia. This was taken from the car at about 40mph, I mean about 80kh.
Hmmm, maybe this is Florida? (This really was taken on the way to the airport in the Gold Coast- Australia).
It wouldn't be a year of photos in Sydney without this, right? The view from Royal Botanic Gardens.